Bicycle riding season is just around the corner! Remember to keep yourself and your children safe on every ride by wearing a bicycle helmet that fits properly and by following the rules of the road.
Here are some helpful tips:
- Before buying a helmet for yourself or your child, make sure it meets the correct safety standards and has a safety sticker from one of the following organizations: CPSC, Snell or ASTM
- Make sure that the helmet fits properly! Visit Parachute Canada, org/resources, for instructions on properly fitting a helmet
- If a helmet has never been in a crash and is not damaged in any way, it needs to be replaced every five years
- If the helmet has been in a crash or is cracked or damaged in any way, it needs to be replaced immediately
- Remember – different activities may need different helmets. If you are unsure whether or not the helmet is safe for the activity, check with the company that made the helmet!
You are your child’s best role model. Role model safe behaviours by wearing a properly fitted helmet yourself. You only have one brain. Protect it by wearing a helmet!
For more information about bicycle helmets, safety tips and answers to frequently asked questions, visit Parachute Canada at www.parachutecanada.org